Saturday, November 22, 2014

Recent genius :O ideas

I keep tinkering with  the posting/listing/payment platform for the writing component of Goodyarns.

I've learned a lot from the sweater pattern listings.

I like how Esty's immediate digital downloads works. The customer gets the pdf instantly and I get paid instantly.

I don't know why it's taken me so long for this penny to drop on auto renew. The 1-up listings usually expired after 3 months. If i want to keep something online without site maintenance, that didn't seem a great longterm option. But if I list something like 999 available, it will keep auto-renewing.

This is great news for the books, patterns, lesson sets, etc.

My books on Createspace are reaching a dead end bc the site wants US tax info which i don't have time to invest  in figuring out the Canadian workaround.

But i don't face this tax problem with Etsy listings.

I also don't like how with Createspace, I had to choose from some pretty bland cover art, when the artwork Holly created for the original printing was the first best most beautiful approach, complete with small turtle. I'd rather go with my own covers.

I have my own plastic comb binding punch, and it's not that big a deal to bind the books.

The costly part now is colour printing. We just printed a couple of copies of a collab picture book B and I worked on - as Christmas presents for relatives. But it cost too much money for colour on all inside pages. And I'm not happy with how reducing his inside illustrations cut out all his fabulous detail. Would rather insert full page of colour art 1 page at a time, if you know what i mean.

But - if I just do colour covers, and all the inside pages in black and white, then there's potential for kids/recipients/readers to treat as a colouring/activity book.

My older kids went thru a phase about 10 yrs ago of making their own activity books for friends. So made up their own colour by number, connect the dots, word searches, crosswords, etc.

As far as an instant download goes, I suppose you could pitch it as a kit, and your pdf would include an instruction page that lists materials you need to finish, such as simple binding instruction such as using paper tape.

Yes, I'm starting to like where this is going very much....

No comments:

Post a Comment