Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Herdsy

Well, the first rant of 2012 is long overdue. Topic - the herd mentality on the front page of Etsy.

Don't get me wrong - there are many things i respect and admire about the hand craft/artisan site.

But I am really board by the grey love on the home page. And spare me - this stupid funny glasses case in grey felt. Running stitch in a glasses shape on a boring grey rectangle stuck on a hand in front of your eyes. My 6 year old could come up with that. I've seen this un-funny glasses case at least twice in the last 24 hrs. For 24 bucks no less.

And how many times do i have to look at that fargin rip off coffee bean coffee cosy in its plethora of colours. Ok, so you know how to knit a 4 inch strip with a cable in the middle and garter stitch edges, and stitch on a 'super cute' button. Big whip. My all thumbs 15 yr old daughter can do that. Worth 17 frickin 50. That scrap of yarn might be the equivalent of 50 cents. She was looking for some winter income to supplement busking in the summer. I'll tell her to stock up on grey. It goes with everything.

I mean, there's so much actual good stuff on there - can't we do better?!

And why grey. It's winter, the sky is grey. I don't want to look at bloody boring grey. I've seen 2 grey treasuries in the last 24 hours.

And what's with the geometrics. All the angry triangles are aggravating my vertigo. Yeah, i want a whole houseful of what the cuss geometrics.

And i'm sorry that video on cat hair crafts - i had to take a double antihistimine after that one.

Somebody, please, anyone, come up with something creative, skillful, interesting and pleasant to look at.

Come on Etsy. It's enough to turn people off artisan work right at the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment