Saturday, November 20, 2010

Low down on Thomas St. craft sale

Well sad to say, it was a light on customers. Most were other vendors or relatives of. Could be recessionary times causing people to cling to their nickels. I sold 3 items totalling $43 - didn't make my booth space fee back. Sold more at Craftstock.

Calibre of craftsmanship was pretty good. Communication with the show organizer was great - she was helpful and friendly and quick to answer queries.

Event was billed as having student help. The students were a bit wanting in initiative. Much more help received from students at Craftstock.

It seemed to be more of a cross between a middle school business lesson and a craft sale. A table of young gals next to us were selling cupcakes etc. I felt the same amount of revulsion I have in the recent past at my kids' middle school craft shows when i saw the kids here licking the spoons after refilling the tart shells.

Some instruction on courteous vendor behaviour would seem to be in order. A couple of kids were commenting of one of my hats declaring it to be $5 less than Boathouse. Then she up and drags her friend over, who had some of her own amurigami toys at another table, they then proceeded to lift up my hat in front of my table and take a picture of it so her friend could make one like it for her.

Another class act duo - one liked a pair of Gryffindor mitts, asked the price, when told $20 - her mom said, right in front of me, just buy the yarn and i'll make it for you.

You'll find bad manners everywhere, of course. Lots of people put down my merch like hot potatoes when told the pieces were in the $20 - 25 range. Let's see - for a 2 colour burgundy and gold item, you need 2 balls of yarn, which since you can't just buy off coloured remainders, go for $8.99 full retail a ball. That's $18. plus tax even before you make it. I don't have a problem with diy, but no one's time is worth 50 cents an hour.

I would say another event where people expect toilet paper poodles at bargain basement prices. I didn't really learn a lot about what people were interested in.

Attention Christmas shoppers - WHEN YOU GO TO AN ARTS & CRAFTS SHOW, WHERE ITEMS ARE NOT BEING MASS PRODUCED AT SLAVE WAGES FOR HUGE MULTINATIONAL CONGLOMERATES WITH HUGE PURCHASING POWER, DON'T WRINKLE YOUR NOSE AND EXPECT CUT RATES. RESPECT THE ARTIST AND ARTISAN, AND KEEP YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF UNTIL AT LEAST OUT OF EARSHOT OF THE VENDOR. AND DON'T TAKE PICS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S WARES - IT'S A HAIR'S BREADTH AWAY FROM STEALING.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment